As you know doing too much too soon can also lead to overtraining and injuries. For lifting weights, you want to progress each week but you don't want to add soo much weight that your body can't handle it.
There are few other things you can do to avoid overtraining:-
* Warm up before your workout. Proper warm up can help prevent injuries.
* Fuel up after exercise. Your body needs everty to recover and that comes from food. A combination of carbs, protein and fat will give your body the energy it needs.
* STRETCH. Tight muscles can often cause other muscles of your body to overcompensate, which can cause injury over time.
* Schedule recovery days into your weekly routine. Listen to your body. If you're 10 minutes into your workout and you're feeling tired and unmotivated, go back home and rest or do a light workout.
* SLEEP IT OFF!! Sleep deprivation is the worst thing for you right now...