Data from 4,000 individuals who successfully lost weight in the US as published by Wing and co-workers in 2005 listed six key strategies for long term successful weight loss and maintenance:-
* EAT A DIET LOW IN CALORIES AND FAT
* ENGAGE IN HIGH LEVELS OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY
* EAT BREAKFAST AND DO NOT SKIP MEALS
* MAINTAIN A CONSISTENT EATING PATTERN
* SELF-MONITOR YOUR WEIGHT ON A REGULAR BASIS
* CATCH 'SLIPS' BEFORES LARGER REGAINS
Let's establish several steps towards weight loss....
Step 1 - Know your weight status. Do a simple calculation of your body mass index (BMI) and check your category.
Step 2 - Set a realistic weight goal. This will help to motivate you to continue...take between three to six months to achieve the target. Remember, drastic weight loss in a short period of time is not sustainable!!!
Step 3 - Know how much you need to eat. Being on a weight loss programme does not mean you have to starve. You still eat a nutritious and balanced meal. You just need to know what to eat and how much.
Referal - NST (10/02/2008)