Healthy eating does not mean eating LESS of everything. Here's something you can actually eat more - FIBRE. Fibre is found only in plant foods such as cereals - rice, wheat, oat, corn. Whereby bean & pulses - soya bean, red bean, dhal, pea. Not to forget fruits and vegetables.
Fibre rich food also contain vitamins and minerals. Unrefined cereals and its products have more fibre. Fibre itself has NO CALORIES. However, fibre rich food tend to have more vitamins and minerals.
WHY FIBRE IS IMPORTANT?
It is an important part of your diet because:
* Stimulates the digestive system.
* Helps prevent constipation.
* Makes you feel full.
* Helps reduce the risk of digestive disorders.
HOW TO GET MORE FIBRE??
* Try to choose wholemeal products e.g., wholemeal bread, wholemeal or high fibre biscuits, high fibre breakfast cerels and capatis.
* Subtitute some of your meats with peas, beans and lentils.
* Try brown rice instead of white rice.
* Use wholemeal flour instead of white flour in your baking or try replacing half of the white flour with wholemeal.
* Include potatoes, tapioca, sweet potatoes and yam.
* Eat more vegetables, salads and ULAM (Malaysian version of salad).
* Eat fruits whole plus the skin whenever possible.
FOOD HIGH IN FIBRE....
Atta flour, Wholemeal bread, Pasta, Red beans, Dhal, Soya beans, Potatoes, Yam, Leafy vegetables, Fruit vegetables, Root vegetables, Carrot, Peanuts & Chickpeas.
There's soo many other food high in fibre that you can purchase. You just have to know how much you need and what type of food that you take daily.